Monday, December 20, 2010

Black bean soup

I used to order black bean soup every time I went to a Mexican restaurant. I can't do it anymore. The soups are never as good as mine. I don't know what it is, but the flavor is always so bland.

My recipe is so easy and simple. This soup could be served by itself or with some tortilla chips.

Olive oil
3 cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 medium onion, small dice
1 jalepeno, seeded and small dice
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 Tbs red wine vinegar
pinch of red pepper flakes
1, 32 oz can of chicken broth or vegetable broth
S&P to taste

In a medium soup pot on medium high heat saute onions, garlic and jalepeno with oil until soft. Add the beans. Stir. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer 15-45 minutes. Puree and serve. If you like the texture of the beans reserve a cup and add back to soup after puree.

No comments:

Post a Comment