Saturday, October 9, 2010

Apple Crisp

Last year baking with apples was a bad experience. I just didn't like how the recipes came out with the margarine. This year it wasn't going to happen. After apple picking in September, I was determined to find a superior recipe that no one in our family would know there wasn't butter in the dish.

I didn't know it was going to be so easy. The apple crisp recipe I found from Betty Crocker. I had never visited the site prior to this except to exchange butter/margarine/shortening ratios. I was so delighted to discover the simple and fantastic apple crisp recipe. I have made it 4 times in the past 3 weeks.

I made a couple of adjustments based on user reviews.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/apple-crisp/3715a45c-3c00-430c-bbe2-9865f9013238

I substituted the all purpose flour for oat flour. I added about 1 tsp vanilla to the crumb mixture. I dabbed approximately 1 TBS of margarine on the apples. I mixed the sliced apples with a lemon wedge, sprinkled cinnamon and hefty TBS of white sugar. I omitted the nutmeg because of preference. Serve warm or place in microwave to reheat about 30 seconds.

After my son goes to bed I do have a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Right now I am looking for some soy whip cream. I would like to try that -- next month we are having a soy challenge so I am eagerly searching out new products.

1 comment:

  1. I think we are going to have to try this one! Sounds yummy! I think this is a great blog!

    ReplyDelete